Over You - By Vinnie Vincent

Here it is...



An un-released song written by Vinnie Vincent featuring vocals by Görun Edman.  “Lightyears beyond the moon, that’s where you are, If only my destiny could lead me to your star”. 

The Song starts the mood with a harmonious vocal, which sounds like Vinnie Vincent and Gorun Edman.  Then after the intro and a pre-chorus you hear the mesmerizing verse and what sounds like a steel slide or (most likely) a pedal steel guitar.  Some experienced musicians would argue “why single notes with a pedal steel guitar?  I cannot answer that, I just know it adds to the effect. The songs use of either a steel slide or a full pedal steel (its hard to say which) as it is used in this song is just the right amount for notes played along with an electric guitar in the same notes in the verses only parallels the feeling if not amplifies it. To my knowledge no one has combined steel slide, electric guitar with pedal steel and no genre uses such a technique with what I consider a harmonic metal song.  I made that up, I think.  The song to my inexperienced ears sounds to be in an A minor key, and after a little reading and self educating, a typical A minor progression are: Am, Dm, F, Em. The chords in this song tell the ears what the heart is feeling. The song has so much feeling, and the music is as if the same words are spoken in a language of a crying angel. The music and the words perfectly matched radiate so much pain from the song that is so real, and so familiar.

There are a lot of songs about loss, and because if we had the will to fix things and make them the way they were, lightyears beyond the moon to travel is what it would take and nothing less than a miracle. Are break-ups the end of it all, is there hope, was it so bad?  Could only death separate lovers a distance comparable to light years beyond the moon?  The worse I can think of is a relationship that ended too soon and the hope of reconciliation and reuniting lost forever?  How?  Only death truly separates us that great a distance, the death of love, the death of a relationship.

Let me add to that. If you don’t know, the nearest star outside our solar system is light years away, yet the hope that one's destiny could take them back to a love lost even if its light years away is the salt added to the already bittersweet reality that it may not happen at least in one's lifetime.  Because the song expresses hope that while the impossible is an unlikely outcome that perhaps a miracle, or a walk along a lonely and painful path that if it was meant to be then maybe its destiny. I have only listened to the song with the vocals, but my guess is anyone listening to only the music would feel what the song says.  After playing this song hundreds of times, I think I’ve figured out many of the chords and I have heard a few others refer to the use of jazz elements in the solos, but it finally makes sense.  I guess it’s good that I am not a real technical musician, and only in the past few months have touched on music theory, so my assessment is firmly rooted in the emotional aspects of the song.   The song has so much more than beautifully arranged chords, and hypnotic vocal harmonies, it tells a story that we all have to tell, but the bittersweetness or spiritual bruising we endured makes the words too difficult to say. The music composed within our hurting hearts is too buried within the depths of our tears and a mess of memories we douse our sprits in.  No drink can wash away the pain, no amount of tears can wash it away, but we have this song to tell the story of our loss.  Vinnie Vincent has a way to telling our stories for us, it’s as if by a higher power he was gifted with this ability.   Now what will be his next story, will it be of one where we are over that loss, will it be of new love?  For now “I’m gonna be strong and walk through that fire”.

The handwritten lyrics given to me by Vinnie Vincent himself. The CD of the un-released copy from his master recordings.  The CD includes: "Over You", "Gypsy In Her Eyes" (multiple versions),  "Maybe It's The Rain"(with Vinnie's vocals and a new version of guitar work), "Forbidden",  and "This Song's for you, Momma" (special version Vinnie Recorded in 1990, that NO ONE ELSE has ever heard).
Girl don't you remember the way that we loved
Love's ember burns like a flame in me still
I have never wanted anything more
Like I want you, like no one before you girl
Where has the worship gone
Who kisses your eyes
Does the fire still burn the same
Like it did in our younger time

You're all of my life and all of my love
I've given my love to you
Now let me get over you

The cryin' of the wind, it whispers your name
In my dreams we kiss in the summer rain
I wake up to the silence that breaks with the dawn
Soon the pieces of my dreams will fade and be gone
Light-years beyond the moon
That's where you are
If only my destiny could lead me to your star
But I gonna be strong and walk through that fire
In the end I'll be standing tall
Once and for all over your desire

You're all of my life and all of my love
I've given it all to you
Why can't I get over you


I promised to not release the music on my CD, here is a link to a YouTube version of the song: OVER YOU (1990 Demo)

Vinnie Vincent's music is available on iTunes, Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Prime!  
Pandora - Vinnie Vincent Invasion Radio
Vinnie Vincent Invasion 
Vinnie Vincent Invasion - All Systems Go

Document revision date: (9/11/2019 9:40AM)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gypsy In Her Eyes - By Vinnie Vincent

Maybe It's the Rain - By Vinnie Vincent