That Time Of Year - By Vinnie Vincent



What separates a really good song from cheap clichés is the words tell a story or conveys a message from the heart and resonates with the soul. But why can't a person say what they really want to say? A love letter straight from the heart, that is exactly what "That Time Of Year" really is. You know the time is near and the moment to share your feelings is running out.  Just say it.  This song is a message of love and hope but tempered in the solemnity that all the love and passion must be set aside because destiny has its grip on his senses and his will to "follow that midnight sun".  The song is also a message of anxiety and pain because he has to choose to go on without her. As the day draws to an end he tells her that his time has come "to follow his dreams of glory".  Maybe he left her a note. Having to leave the love of your life to make way for a better life, hurts no doubt.  Even the day they may reunite seems a life away.

I immediately hear notes that fit the D Aeolian Scale (D minor scale).  The D minor scale sounds are that of  “a subdued feeling of sadness, grief, anxiety, and solemnity.”  Vinnie may come across in his early interviews as metal guitar god and a guy who just wanted to show that he was the fastest shredder among all the greats (yes he is on that list),  but there is certainly more to him than that.  Maybe this song was what Vinnie was feeling when he had to chase his dreams of glory, perhaps this song was already written deep within his heart (in 1982?)...  Vinnie was more than a shredder, his ability to connect to with just the right notes is apparent and this song is a perfect example of just that.

The video production help foster that feeling of solemnity and anxiety and great sadness that many songs in D minor express but with dim lights or maybe late in the evening as the sun goes down.


I wanna stay girl it hurts I know
But the time has come to find my dreams of glory
It hasn't been easy babe - hard times we know
But I gotta know the ending of my story
Oh, it's my challenge, it's my right
And my will's too strong to fight
I don't wanna say goodbye cus I love you
But it's that time - that time of year
To follow that midnight sun
That time of year
My ramblin' heart's gotta run
Wherever it takes me I'll ride that wind
To my rainbow's end but I'll be back again
I wanna hear you say it girl, that you understand
If I had my wish you'd be by my side
Oh, it's my challenge, it's my right
And my will's too strong to fight
I don't wanna say goodbye cus I love you
But it's that time - that time of year
To follow that midnight sun
That time of year
My ramblin' heart's gotta run.
  
Vinnie Vincent's music is available on iTunes, Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Prime!  
Vinnie Vincent Invasion 
Vinnie Vincent Invasion - All Systems Go

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gypsy In Her Eyes - By Vinnie Vincent

Over You - By Vinnie Vincent

Maybe It's the Rain - By Vinnie Vincent